Criteria for questionnaire surveys distributed by the Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery (FMIGS)
It will be the policy of the Fellowship to review surveys 4 times a year and a maximum of 1 survey per quarter will be accepted for distribution to its Fellows and/or Program Directors. Surveys not accepted can be resubmitted for consideration in the next review quarter. No surveys are to be distributed in the quarter immediately prior to the AAGL Annual Clinical Meeting in November.
The fee structure will be as follows;
- Distributing surveys will be at no cost to FMIGS Fellows and Program Directors
- Physicians who are non FMIGS Fellows and Program Directors will have to pay a fee, the amount to be determined by the FMIGS Board
- Industry will have to pay a fee as well and the amount will be determined by the FMIGS Board
1. The principal investigator or senior investigator must be a physician in good standing and a member of AAGL.
2. The questionnaire’s primary research question should be relevant and timely to the FMIGS educational curriculum.
3. The principal investigator must submit a summary (<1 page) of the significance, research aims and methods of the survey design. A brief discussion of the method of survey design, including its validity and reliability of the proposed survey, is strongly encouraged.
a. Validity testing involves “the assessment of the content of the questionnaire to determine that is measuring the parameters it intends to measure.”
b. Reliability is based upon “repeated administration of the questionnaire to a pilot group showing high levels of reproducibility.”
c. The investigator is strongly encouraged to review the following guidelines prior to submitting their request to FMIGS:
Burns KE et al. A guide for the design and conduct of self-administered survey of clinicians. CMAJ 2008 Jul 29; 179(3): 245-52.
4. The FMIGS/FPRN Research Committee will review applications for survey distribution on a quarterly basis to determine if the above criteria are fulfilled. The attached scoring rubric will be used to evaluate proposed surveys. The FMIGS/FPRN Research Committee will make a recommendation to the FMIGS board, and the final decision whether to distribute the survey and which venue of distribution will be used will be made by the FMIGS Board of Directors. The decision will be based on the relevance of the researchquestion to the Fellowship and the quality of the survey. If a survey is not selected, it may be resubmitted for consideration in the next quarter for up to 1 year.
a. Surveys may be distributed to FMIGS Fellows and/or Program Directors via direct email to individual Fellows and Program Directors, a web-link on the FMIGS website, and/or web-link on the FMIGS newsletter.
b. The principal investigator may request which method of distribution he/she prefers, and the FMIGS board will determine the final method of distribution.
c. A restricted number of surveys will be emailed directly to FMIGS Fellows and Program Directors, no more than 1 direct email survey per quarter. Individual surveys will be open for 6 weeks. A reminder will be sent at 3 weeks and 48 hours before the survey closes.
5. IRB approval from the principal investigator’s home institution is required prior to survey distribution to FMIGS Fellows and/or Program Directors.
6. A summary report detailing the survey results must be made available to AAGL and survey participants within 12 months of distribution. Submission of an abstract to the annual AAGL meeting or a manuscript to JMIG is highly encouraged.
7. The manuscript summarizing the main results of the survey should acknowledge the FMIGS sponsorship of the survey.